The city will receive a $235,000 federal grant to purchase a pump-tanker which will add to the other equipment grants provided for during the past year. The Fire and Rescue Department had already purchased a brush-truck and emergency response vehicle with other grants.
The tanker will provide a larger water capacity that will especially be helpful in response to outlying and large fires, Meeks said.
Meeks apologized to community residents for the lack of recycling pick-up. The truck used for pick-up “blew an engine,” Meeks said. The truck will be repaired and put back in service.
The council approved a measure approving soliciting bids for the timber in the industrial park. Two methods of appraisal will be used. The parcel will be divided into four sections and bids will be taken for each section and then compared with a bid for the section as a whole. The city will compare the bids to make a decision.
The council tabled Resolution No. 2012-01 to authorize the mayor to sign the deed transferring 78.95 acres adjacent to the Kymulga Grist Mill.
Council member Jimmy Payne said he wanted to table the resolution until the next meeting to determine who was behind getting deed information before the city received it.
City Clerk Sandra Donahoo explained the chamber had made plans for a ceremony recognizing the deed transfer but the Historical Preservation Commission Task Force assigned oversight of the Grist Mill determined there wasn’t enough time to prepare for the ceremony and all activities were cancelled.
Other business conducted by the council included:
• Rescheduled the regular council meeting Feb. 21 to Feb. 28.
• Approved the purchase of a new mosquito spray that was water-based rather than diesel-based.
• Decided to advertise to fill a Shift “A” captain for the Fire Department.
• Approved Resolution No. 2012-02 awarding a bid for the purchase of air packs for the Fire Department. A $131,000 grant will be used to purchase the air packs.
• Approved repairs for the air conditioner at the R.S. Limbaugh Community Center.
• Approved expenses for the repair of parking lights at the community center.
Contact Mark Ledbetter at email@example.com