Mayor Lew Watson appointed Danny Groce, who has served as assistant water supervisor since 1994. Groce has been head of the city’s Street Department for the past 10 years.
The council unanimously approved the mayor’s appointment.
Groce replaces longtime water supervisor Royce “Chip” Chandler, who died earlier this month.
“We had a qualified man on board,” Watson said. “There was no need to search outside the city for a replacement.”
Groce said he worked closely with Chandler in the Water Department since 1994.
“I’m pleased to be appointed,” he said.
Groce said he worked closely with Chandler, so there is not really a transition because the employees are used to working with him.
“It’s nothing new to me,” he said. “Just a lot more hours to work.”
The council approved a resolution recognizing Chandler for his devoted and dedicated service to the city and memorialized him by naming the city well on Griffin Avenue the Chip Chandler Well.
The council also approved a resolution commending Lincoln High School’s Jamario Howard for winning the state wrestling championship.
In other matters, the council:
• Approved a resolution requesting the Talladega County Commission consider Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program funding for replacement of the bridge on Stemley Road over Choccolocco Creek.
• Approved the painting of the 200,000 and 600,000 gallon water tanks on Water Tank Lane by Moore & Thompson Maintenance in the amount of $41,431. Watson said this would not include removing the existing lead paint, which would greatly add to the cost of the project and is not feasible, but will paint over it.
• Approved installation of an iron trench gate at the entrance to Lincoln Park by Willow Creek Construction, LLC in the amount of $8,800.
• Discussed, but took no action on a request for the city to accept the county outdoor warning sirens and activation system in the approximate annual cost of $18,421.
• Held an executive session for approximately 20 minutes to discuss the market value of real property and proposed prices for purchase or sale.
Contact Elsie Hodnett at email@example.com.