Giddens confirmed that the production of methamphetamines, commonly known as “crystal meth,” is still a serious problem in the county and No. 1 in the cases the drug task force works.
“They’ve got a lot more duties than they have had,” Giddens said of the task force.
Commission Chairman Jimmy C. Roberson said he appreciates the work Giddens, his staff, and the drug task force have done in the county.
Roberson said the drug task force budget will be discussed in upcoming work sessions scheduled for Sept. 17 and Sept. 20 at 4 p.m. and it will be at the top of the list. There will also be a budget meeting Sept. 28 at noon.
The commission tabled Giddens’ request until the budget is adopted.
In other business, the commission:
• Tabled bids for the Road Department that were opened by county engineer Tim Markert.
• Approved a surplus inventory request from the Sheriff’s Department. The surplus includes four vehicles: a 1997 Ford Taurus, 2003 Chevy Impala, and two 2003 C.V. Fords.
• Approved a resolution regarding Title III funds.
• Approved a contract with Alabama Roofing & Sheet Metal Co. in the amount of $72,000 to re-roof the investigator’s building.
• Approved the scheduling of commission meetings for Oct. 8, Oct. 22 and Nov. 14.
• Approved budget amendments.
• Approved all personnel recommendations.
• Approved expenditures at $967,901.37.
• Announced that there will be a garbage cleanup from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 29, at Talladega County Central High School sponsored by Commissioner Kelvin Cunningham.
The next commission meeting will be held at 6 p.m. on Sept. 24.
Contact Aziza Jackson at email@example.com.