The water authority submitted an application to the commission that stated, “The Board has determined that it is in the best interest of the citizens that it serves and their future needs to consolidate the assets of Ida Station Water District with those of the Fayetteville Water Authority, and that the Board has further determined that, after the transfer of said assets and liabilities the Fayetteville Water Authority will be responsible for serving the area currently served by Ida Station Water District.”
Fayetteville Water Authority was most recently handed a subpoena for its records from District Attorney Steve Giddens.
The subpoena came almost two months after the commission requested an audit from the state examiners office regarding the board’s operations and alleged ethics violations.
Commission Chair Jimmy C. Roberson recommended that the commission hold a public hearing, “In case they have any customers that might want to have some input on this merger.”
The public hearing has been scheduled for 5 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 8, before the commission meeting at 6 p.m.
In other business, the commission:
• Approved a request from David Baggett to establish the Baggett Family Cemetery.
• Approved a request from Jackie Swinford to appoint former state Sen. Jim Preuitt for the District 1 Industrial Development Authority Board.
• Approved a request from John Luker to appoint Don Huddleston for the District 2 Industrial Development Authority Board.
• Approved a request from Talladega County Emergency Management Agency Director Deborah Gaither for a community partnership agreement.
• Awarded bids for food for the Talladega County Jail.
• Awarded bids for highway department materials.
• Approved a TCP-61-303-13 road project.
• Approved a TCP-61-002-13 road project.
• Approved a contract with Coosa Valley Youth Services.
• Approved a request to open bids for custodial supplies.
• Approved budget amendments.
• Approved the 2013 fiscal year budget.
• Approved a joint venture water plant budget.
• Approved the transfer of excess funds from the sale of real estate.
• Approved a request to cancel the Sept. 28 commission meeting.
• Approved conference requests.
• Approved personnel changes.
• Approved expenditures totaling $498,743.
The next commission meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 8.
There will be a garbage clean-up from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 29, at Talladega County Central High School sponsored by Commissioner Kelvin Cunningham.
There will be a garbage clean-up from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 13, at downtown Munford at the old post office parking lot sponsored by Commissioner Jackie Swinford.
Contact Aziza Jackson at email@example.com.