The School System is building six classrooms at the intermediate school. The classrooms will also act as storm shelters for students and faculty. The classrooms are expected to withstand 250 mph winds.
A local construction company, Goodgame Company, submitted the low bid in the amount of $947,600 and was one of nine companies to submit bids.
Mozingo, who oversees the School System’s maintenance, facilities and construction projects, said at Tuesday night’s Board of Education meeting that he met with Goodgame Company representatives at a pre-construction meeting Tuesday afternoon.
The project is expected to be complete before school starts again this fall.
In other matters Tuesday night, the board:
• Accepted the retirement of Coosa Valley Elementary School principal Tammy Stewart.
• Accepted the resignations of Pell City High School varsity cheerleader coach Haley Williams, Duran North/South Junior High School cheerleader coach Kayla Lee, and PCHS B-Team cheerleader coach Jill McCombs, which does not affect their teaching positions; Duran North/PCHS fine arts teacher Heather Haynes; PCHS band director Duane Player; and Duran North Junior High School lunchroom worker Linda Lucas.
• Approved adding Rene Gonzales, John Santoro and Allison Goodenough to the substitute teacher’s list.
• Approved adding Derek Thistle to the substitute bus driver’s list.
• Approved a leave of absence for Walter M. Kennedy/Coosa Valley Elementary School music teacher Sherri Lindsey.
• Approved Ryan Brock as a volunteer coach/sponsor for Duran South Junior High School football.
• Approved the supplement pay for PCHS interim head football coach Brooks Dampeer.
• Approved summer school dates for June 3-28, and hiring one summer school contract teacher.
• Accepted the resignation of The Robinson Law Firm as counsel for the Pell City Board of Education.
• Approved revisions to the safety program and work-study program policies.
• Approved the 2013-2014 school calendar.
• Approved paying $8,500 to The Gallini Group, Inc. for attorney fees/settlement.
• Announced the next regularly scheduled meeting is at 6 p.m. May 14.
Contact David Atchison at firstname.lastname@example.org.