More than 120 guests representing multiple agencies and government entities attended the ceremony to honor nine recipients of awards for exemplary service.
“It’s an honor to take the time to celebrate these accomplishments, whether you’re an employee, employer or service provider,” Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind President John Mascia said.
Committee Chairman Roy Roberts called the luncheon a collaborative effort between the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services, AIDB, the schools that are part of the Institute and employers who provide opportunities for disabled or sensory-impaired workers.
“This event recognizes the importance of employment for people with disabilities,” Roberts said. “Like the motto says on your program, ‘Because we all are equal to the task.’ That’s all people with disabilities ask for is a chance to show (they can be productive citizens).”
The committee also honored businesses that provide opportunities to disabled workers.
Talladega City Manager Brian Muenger, who played a role in securing a disabled worker a paid on-the-job training opportunity cataloguing and categorizing old warrants at the Talladega Police Department, received the Public Service Award for his efforts.
“It’s been a mutually rewarding experience for us,” Muenger said. “I want to thank (Roberts) for the opportunity to be a part of this program.”
Other award winners include:
• Wallace Berryhill, recipient of the Small Business Employee of the Year Award.
• Mary Cook, recipient of the Large Business Employee of the Year Award.
• Armstrong Lawn Service, recipient of the Small Business Employer of the Year Award.
• The Talladega Police Department, recipient of the Large Business Employer of the Year Award.
• Munford High School teacher Annette Camp, recipient of the Teacher of the Year Award.
• Vincent Armstrong, recipient of the Advocate of the Year Award.
• Charlotte Weaver, recipient of the Student of the Year Award.
• Amber Holbrook, recipient of the Youth Leadership Award.
Contact Shane Dunaway at email@example.com