The report states that when personnel arrived, there was nothing showing from outside the building, but there was the smell of smoke and activated fire alarms inside. Heat and dark smoke was visible around the doorway of Room 208, and firemen took the appropriate steps to extinguish and ventilate the room, which was found to have heavy smoke and smoldering embers when personnel first entered.
Most residents had evacuated the building, and some were sheltering in place, when the fire department arrived, the report states.
After consulting with management, clearing all floors of smoke and resetting the alarm system, all residents were allowed to return to their rooms except residents of Room 208. Locks were changed to secure the fire room until further investigation could take place Thursday during daylight hours.