Space heater causes house fire
by Chris Norwood
Dec 31, 2013 | 1101 views |  0 comments | 12 12 recommendations | email to a friend | print
An overworked space heater appears to have caused a fire that seriously damaged a house on Nimitz Avenue in Talladega Monday night.

According to Fire Department Capt. Larry Vincent, firefighters got the call at about 11:15 p.m. and were able to knock the fire down fairly quickly. They remained on the scene until about 12:40 a.m. Tuesday.

There was heavy fire damage to the living room area, where the blaze originated, and smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.

According to Police Department Capt. Leon Thomas, the resident of the house told investigators she first heard something and determined that her living room was on fire. She and a 6-year-old child were able to escape out of a bedroom window without injury.

Vincent said there were also two pets inside the house. Firefighters were able to rescue one, but the other succumbed to smoke inhalation.

Vincent said that space heaters are not meant to be run constantly, and if you are using one, you should turn it off when you are not around it.

“They’re not meant to have that kind of constant drain,” he said.

Firefighters from stations one and two responded to the call, Vincent said.

Contact Chris Norwood at cnorwood@dailyhome.com.