Larry Ward resigned from the post in November after 37 years on the job. Ward had served as judge in several other cities and towns, and also resigned from those positions.
Woodruff, a Lincoln resident, practices law at the Woodruff and Love firm in Talladega. According to the firm’s website, he is a Tuscaloosa native and a graduate of Talladega High School, Auburn University and the University of Alabama School of Law. He is a former assistant district attorney in Talladega County, a co-founder of the 29th Judicial Circuit Domestic Violence Crime Unit and unit prosecutor/project director for the 29th Judicial Circuit Drug and Violent Crime Task Force. He also served as a circuit judge in Talladega County from 2006 to 2008.
His appointment in Childersburg extends until Jan. 15, 2016.
Council President Jimmy Payne presided over the meeting in the absence of Mayor B.J. Meeks, who is hospitalized following surgery for stomach cancer last week.
In other matters, the council:
• Approved placing an advertisement in the upcoming Update edition of The Daily Home at a cost of $353.
• Postponed its next regular meeting, originally scheduled for Tuesday, Jan. 21, until Tuesday, Jan. 28, at 6 p.m. at City Hall.
• Approved allowing Ben Austin, caretaker of the Kymulga Grist Mill, to drive a city-owned vehicle to transport inmates to and from work at the grist mill.
• Approved travel and training expenses for Parks and Recreation Department officials Howard Smith and Tarus Twyman to attend the annual ARPA Conference in February.
• Approved travel and training expenses for elected officials to attend a CMO program on municipal legislative advocacy next month in Montgomery.
• Approved monthly invoices.
• Approved the purchase of a new computer for the Childersburg Fire Department, at a cost of $1,055.
• Approved allowing Childersburg firefighters to stand by as the owner of a burned house at 81 S. Crestview Street burns the remnants of the floor of the house.
• Discussed the need for uniforms for newly hired firefighters.
Contact Bill Kimber at email@example.com.