Burnt popcorn causes hospital evacuation
by Emily McLain
Jan 24, 2014 | 1952 views |  0 comments | 15 15 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The Professional Office Building at Coosa Valley Medical Center was evacuated Friday morning after a smoke alarm was activated at 10:18 a.m., according to Sylacauga Fire Chief Matt Missildine.

“When we got there, they were already evacuating the building, which is a good thing,” he said. “We went in and figured out the problem, and it was burnt popcorn. They handled the smoke from the popcorn, and let everyone back into the building.”

Missildine said if he had to guess the cause of the smoke, he would say that the person making the popcorn used residential time settings on a commercial microwave.

“That’s pure speculation, but that would be a likely cause for this since residential microwaves use different time settings than a commercial one,” he said.

Missildine said that although there was no fire, it is always good to pay attention to a smoke alarm.

“We don’t want people to get in the habit of thinking, ‘Oh, it’s probably nothing,’ when they hear an alarm,” he said. “Smoke alarms aren’t something to play with, so it’s good that they went ahead and evacuated the building today quickly.”