Winter storm causes few problems in Talladega
by Chris Norwood
Jan 30, 2014 | 2076 views |  0 comments | 17 17 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Bob Crisp/The Daily Home
It was not a normal Tuesday in Talladega, with people finding it hard to get around on city streets. Getting around on Battle Street was, at best, confusing.
Bob Crisp/The Daily Home

It was not a normal Tuesday in Talladega, with people finding it hard to get around on city streets. Getting around on Battle Street was, at best, confusing.
Although Talladega certainly may have experienced some inconvenience from the first snow of 2014, things certainly could have been much worse.

According to Talladega City Schools Superintendent Doug Campbell, school will stay out through Monday. But after the announcement of early dismissal came out Tuesday, “we were able to get everybody home safely,” he said. “All of the buses made it back safely to the bus barn after that. I want to commend all our staff for a job well done, and for clearing each hurdle as the events unfolded. Everything worked well and everyone got home safe.”

City Manager Brian Muenger said he was also “very satisfied with the city employees. They took a situation that could be difficult to deal with, but they handled everything.”

The city of Talladega did not open any warming shelters this time, Muenger said. “We really had very few people stranded, and the ones we did have we were able to place in local motels. With the local motorists, we were able to transport them back to where they needed to be. We didn’t have any power outages in town, so it seemed like it would actually be safer not to open the shelter.”

The city has mutual aid agreements in place with the Red Cross and the Talladega County Emergency Management Agency, and at least one local church was on standby through the worst of the storm, he added.

Talladega’s investment in a sand spreader also paid off this week.

“Our crews did a great job putting the sand out and getting it where it needed to be. We’re expecting the last of the major ice will be melted off by tomorrow, although I understand Jackson Trace Road was probably the most problematic, and there were still some rough patches there.”

After being closed early on Tuesday and all day Wednesday, city offices reopened at noon Thursday, and will resume regular hours today (Friday).

Garbage pickup will also resume on Friday.

Talladega Police Chief Jason Busby said Thursday that it was still too early to say how many traffic accidents had been worked since the snow started falling, especially since some were still being worked.

The fire department’s run summary for the week showed three traffic accidents without injury, but that was because “they stopped calling us for wrecks where no one was hurt, because we were taking so many other calls,” according to Captain Larry Vincent.

From Thursday to Thursday, the Talladega Fire Department responded to a total of 31 calls. Of these, 17 came in after the snow started falling Tuesday afternoon, including an accident involving minor injuries on Broadway Ave. Jan. 30.

Other calls during the emergency included an alarm call on North Street East, cancelled calls to Alabama 77, Alabama 21 at the Bypass, Nottingham Road, New Lincoln Road and Brecon Mobile Home Park; and two building fires at 108 Rosa Street. Vincent said the house was more or less destroyed after the first fire, and that the wood under the eaves rekindled later in the evening.

There were also public service calls on East Street South and Black Snake Road, a sprinkler activation and alarm call at the county Health Department and an alarm call on Ave. H.

Before the storm, firefighters responded to a structure fire on Elbert Davis Street which damaged one room; a shed fire on Hendricks Street; a cooking fire on Stemley Bridge Road, a building fire on Nimitz Ave., a trash fire on Stemley Bridge Road, a gas leak on Dogwood Circle, a grass fire on Draper Road and a grass fire on Landmark Road.

There was also a false alarm on Stemley Bridge Road, a vehicle fire on East Street South, a woods fire on Cheatwood Road, an authorized burn on Mountain View Road, smoke on Baker Street and a grass fire on Dye Road.

Contact Chris Norwood at