Sylacauga PD search for clues, suspects in rash of crime
Dec 30, 2009 | 2661 views |  0 comments | 11 11 recommendations | email to a friend | print

SYLACAUGA — Police responded to three incidents within about an hour of each other Wednesday morning.

The first was a bomb threat called into the Sylacauga Walmart between 9:30-10 a.m.

Sylacauga Police Department investigator Lt. Jason McNeill said, “The caller just said ‘bomb 1 o’clock’ and hung up.”

Customers and employees were cleared from the store while authorities searched the store. McNeill said the fire department and the police department did a sweep of the store, and there was also a walkthrough with a store employee to make sure nothing was out of place. No bomb was found, and the store eventually reopened.

McNeill said a bomb threat is now under the charge of making a terrorist threat – a felony.

A short time later the police received a call about an unidentified man trying to enter Dixie Drugs. The store had been robbed on Dec. 2 by a man claiming to have a gun.

“A guy came up to Dixie Drugs and went to the door to try to open it, but the door was locked,” McNeill said. “The man had the same build and clothing that matched the description of the suspect in the previous robbery.”

The man left without gaining access to the building. McNeill said that call reached him around 10:30 a.m.

Previous published reports stated the Dec. 2 robber was described as a slender white male approximately 5 feet 7 inches in height. He entered the store around 9:30 a.m. wearing a black hood over his face and a black outfit and demanded several prescription narcotics.

While police were searching the area around Dixie Drugs on Wednesday, the occupants of a vehicle driving down Old Talladega Highway noticed the police presence, and one of the occupants tried to jump out of the moving vehicle.

McNeill said the man received injuries serious enough to require police to call an ambulance to transport him to Coosa Valley Medical Center. McNeill did not release the identity of the injured man, and police were still investigating why he tried to flee from the vehicle.

McNeill added that the driver of the vehicle, Shannon Morris of Sylacauga, was taken into custody for not stopping after the passenger jumped out of the vehicle. He could be facing a reckless endangerment charge and/or other similar charges, McNeill said.

It is still not known if any of these three incidents are connected with each other.