Mother delivers son in front seat of her car — alone
Apr 21, 2010 | 5089 views |  1 comments | 25 25 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Amanda Wilkins Osbourn is pictured with her newborn son, Hunter Lee. Osbourn went into labor while driving to the hospital and delivered the baby by herself. Matt Quillen
Amanda Wilkins Osbourn is pictured with her newborn son, Hunter Lee. Osbourn went into labor while driving to the hospital and delivered the baby by herself. Matt Quillen
A Wilsonville woman recently gave birth to a seven pound, six ounce baby boy.

There were no major complications with the childbirth. The baby had blue eyes, dark brown hair, ten fingers and ten toes.

It was the woman’s fourth child and her second boy. He was named Hunter Lee.

There was nothing unusual about the birth, except for one thing — the mother did it all by herself, all alone and in the front seat of her Nissan sedan while sitting in a church parking lot.

“I wasn’t scared,” she said. “Mother Nature and motherly instincts kicked in and told me what I had to do and I did it.”

Amanda Wilkins Osbourn gave birth to Hunter on April 11. Since he decided to surprise his mother with an early arrival, the two have been doing well.

“He’s just growing, sleeping and eating, and I feel fine,” she said.

Osbourn had weekly visits to the doctor leading up to the birth. On April 6, the doctor told her she was dilated almost three centimeters and everything was normal.

They had made an appointment to induce labor April 13, after 38 weeks of pregnancy.

“I woke up last Sunday morning and I had been feeling some pain,” Osbourn said. “I didn’t think anything of it. All of my pregnancies have been induced. There were no labor symptoms or anything.”

“I kind of ignored it and went on but they started getting closer and stronger. I said to myself, ‘I’ll just go to the hospital and get myself checked out.’”

Osbourn grabbed her keys, purse and phone and got in her car. But as she drove through Harpersville on her way to Coosa Valley Medical Center, she realized the baby was not going to wait.

“I pulled over at Klein Baptist Church on (Alabama Highway) 76, and he came out in the front seat of my car,” Osbourn said.

She said the entire ordeal, from the first pains to the birth, lasted about an hour.

“When they started getting closer and stronger, it was about 7-7:30 (a.m.),” Osbourn said. “I left to get in the car about 7:50. He came out at about 8:15. So it wasn’t a long time.”

Osbourn texted her mother, Donna Botticello, that she was on her way as she drove to the hospital. Botticello was at home with her sister in Childersburg when she received the text.

“I didn’t know if she was going to the hospital or on her way here,” she said. “So I called her and I heard her screaming. That’s when I just lost it.”

Botticello and her sister got into the car to go to her daughter. They stayed on the phone with Osbourn as she gave birth to her son.

“I heard the baby when he first cried,” Botticello said. ”We got there and she had the baby on her chest, laid back in the front seat.”

Emergency responders arrived shortly after Botticello did. They cut the cord and took the mother and her newborn to the hospital emergency room.

Both were kept at the hospital overnight but were cleared to go home after it was found they were in good health. Osbourn said Hunter has already gained eight ounces since he was born.

Osbourn’s father nicknamed his new grandson, “The Roadrunner.” She and her family were all in good spirits shortly after the unusual event.

“We were kidding her that now she wouldn’t have to pay a doctor bill, since he didn’t have to deliver” Botticello said.

Statistics from several sources stated the average time for labor was around 12-18 hours for a first-time mother and around eight hours for pregnancies after that.

They also noted some mothers took far more, or far less, time.

“Even when they induced her (earlier pregnancies), it was within four hours that she had the baby,” Botticello said. “So she’s always been quick.”